Interview with Joy Peters
1. Can you tell us a little about yourself and what do you do?
Well as a matter of fact I am very busy singing and acting in different theatre productions and I like to travel and perform on cruise ships- privately I enjoy being with my family and taking care of my house and garden.
2. How did you get involved in music and do you have a music background?
I started in music business when I was 16 years old - I wanted to become an actor and so I went to an acting school for 4 years where I also took singing lessons.
My father was a very talented violin planer and my mother had a very nice singing voice so I think my Talent comes from this side.
3. Please, tell us about your musical career. How did it all start and describe the projects that you have been working on and how they were set up?
This is very difficult to answer, because I did sooo many things in my career - but let me name a few important Projects - of course it was a big Step to get discovered by Bert Meyer for ZYX Records in 1985 - he took me to Axel Breitung and the Story began- but after I stopped working with Axel and ZYX - I performed in several European countries with my concert Show and had the opportunity to be part of some very interesting musical Shows in Switzerland where I lived for 5 years. Not to forget my 3 CD releases with jazz and easy Listening Music - witch I enjoyed very much.
And now we are heading forward to make a new album - and I am very exited about it.
4. Besides music what other hobbies do you have?
Oh, I am a passionate Photographer and I love to work in my garden...
5. Where did you get your music inspiration from?
By listening and watching other Artists and of course from my audience and my Fans.
6. What other music interests you?
I love all kinds of music - especially the great Entertainers like Celine Dion, Barbra Streisand, Madonna ect. but also the new generation like Pink or Amy Winehouse.
7. What made you change your style from Pop music to Italo Disco ?
Due to the circumstances I had to change my style of music a couple of times in my career, and It always depends on what audience you play for. A long time I was in Pop Music and than I got the record contract with ZYX and had to slip into a complete different kind of music. And afterwards I got back to POP and more and more into Jazz and Blues. But as I said before I enjoy music in general - and so I had my part of fun in every music I sang. And now we recorded two new ITALO songs and it was kind of a new/old experience.
8. The modern music studio has moved from hardware to software. What are your thoughts about that change?
Well, time moves on - and sounds are as brilliant as never before.
9. What has been your biggest musical challenge so far?
My biggest musical challenge so far was playing singing a one hour concert with a band I have never worked with before - and we had only one hour for rehearsals. But we did it.
10. Are there any group or artist(s) that have influenced you?
Yes - in disco music I learned a lot from Boy George and the Pet Shop Boys and as an Performer I was very much influenced by Frank Sinatra.
11. I guess this question follows on from the next but do you have a favorite artist and why?
All those I have already mentioned of course and not to forget my all time favorites Alison Moyet and Michael Ball from England.
12. Can you tell us a little bit more about your work with Axel Breitung?
Working with Axel Breitung has always been a great pleasure - he is a very nice man and a big professional in music business - we started out in a very little studio in Northeim (near Hannover) and it was really an adventure recording this songs and praying for success. And I think we did quite a good job - and I am very happy that after sooo many years there is still people who remember our music.
13. What is your favorite track that you've sang for Axel?
My personal favorite is „I wish you were here“ and „One night in love“.
14. Are there any future plans, perhaps an album?
Yes as I mentioned it before there are plans for a new Album with new and old Songs in 80´s style- I was asked by SSR records from New York and we already started to work on it. Exiting……..
15. Any thoughts on how we could improve the genre (musically and gaining more mass appeal)?
Unfortunately it‘s always a matter of money but I think with all the new media like You Tube and My Video and Face book and so on there is a good chance to reach the Fans and gain new fans.
16. What‘s your favorite TV show?
My favorite TV Show is Will & Grace.
17. Now for something light hearted. Just give the answer to one you prefer or “Neither” if they aren't applicable. **short cut : with one word.
1. Tea or Coffee? Tea
2. Market or Shopping Mall? Market
3. TV or Sport? TV
4. Books or Cinema? Books
5. Resort or Camping? Resort
6. Summer or Winter? Summer
7. Cat or Dog? Both
9. Beer, wine or Spirits? Wine
10. Blonde or Bruette? Brunette
11. Sweet or savoury? Sweet
18. What should your fans do if they would like to contact you to give some feedback?
Well they can write to me an my face book site: Joy Peters - Italo Disco Star. Or send me an E-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
19. Before we end this interview, we are wondering if there is something that you would like to say to your fans.
First of all I would like to say thank you for being my fans and enjoying good music - I am very happy that thanks to all of you I am privileged still being part of the business.
God bless you - big Kiss
Once again thank you for taking the time to answer these questions. It is very much appreciated! We hope this gives the Italo Disco community a little better insight into you as an artist.
Thank you Joy
Space Sound Team